Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Weekend and Stuff

I'm obvs feeling very clever with a title like that. But I did have a great weekend! I started it off with dinner at the bestie's, then drinks with friends at Rose & Thistle (which reminds me of my least favorite program on NPR, Thistle & Shamrock. I irrationally hate that show so much. I can't explain it), and Indian dance night at Pi-rem courtesy of my good friend Abhi. Saturday I headed down to Eugene to see my bff from my college days. We watched the only rom-com I've ever seen that I actually liked, called "Saving Face." It's a rom-com about Chinese-Americans and while it has some of the things I hate about that genre of movie (like the superficially simple characters and endings that tie up way too easily), but unlike most of them, there were some unexpected twists. We actually guessed the ending wrong. It's in both Chinese and English (it takes place mostly in Flushing, Queens) and I could actually understand a few Chinese words here and there, so that was exciting for me. Worth a watch if you want a fun, not particularly deep, movie that isn't annoying. It's really as far from "27 Dresses" or "Bride Wars" as you can get and still be considered a rom-com. I haven't seen "Bride Wars" but the previews alone make me want to hate Anne Hathaway for even considering starring in it.

Before I get filled with rage thinking about how I hate rom-coms so much and I just wish people would stop making them or watching them, I will stop. Instead, it's time for the fun part of the post. So I've just discovered this amazing site called "FFFFOUND!", which I bet has been around for awhile but I just never noticed it before. It's great for my google reader when I just want to browse and look at pretty things and want a break from reading the news (which I've been doing too much of. I had a random dream last night that included Angela Merkel and the Palestinian crisis...). So many amazing pictures.


This one is from Teddy Roosevelt's diary the day his wife died. Brief, subtle and so sad.
This picture is just stunning, right?


I also found the link to this amazing collection of pictures from 2008 on boston.com. I can't even pick a favorite but the nerd in me loves the hadron collider that will one day suck us all into a black hole. The drummers at the Beijing Summer Olympics are pretty spectacular too. (They're pretty big so I won't repost).

There are a lot of really amazing images on FFFFound in case you feel like spending hours looking at neat stuff. But my favorite thing I've seen recently has to be this post about handi-capable pets and amazing animals (thanks Clay!). Obvs this was the week of pets in wheelchairs since this is my 2nd post in a week that includes our furry/wheelie friends. But really, doesn't this picture just melt your heart in a totally unique way?

Or the story about the seeing eye cat for the blind and deaf labrador? And the seeing eye dog right below that one?! ::eyes getting misty::

Now I'm off to finish a book, finish some laundry, and kick some butt at trivia. Oh and also I need someone to talk me out of getting an ipod touch. I'm dangerously close to throwing $230 at Steve Jobs just to become one of those losers who spends all day on their iphone (but mine will not be a phone) trying to make themselves feel important by looking busy when really they are probably twittering or playing poker or facebook stalking someone. I need an intervention!



Thanks monkey. I think I can make it. For a little while.

4 comments:

  1. there is this amazing ipod game, called cube runner, that is mindbogglingly addictive. all you do is maneuver to avoid cubes. oh, and there is other game where you roll around and pick up trash. sounds mundane, right? wrong, so wrong.

    also, thanks for the fffffound link. i need more time-wasting websites like you need an ipod touch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The previews for Bride Wars make me angry. So incredibly angry. Really, Anne Hathaway? REALLY? You give that wrenching and cringe-inducing performance in Rachel Getting Married and then crap this hot mess out? I object.

    Good luck with holding on on the iPod Touch. I have no willpower when it comes to adding new gadgetry to my collection. And I'm just sayin'...I think you've totally underestimated the value and fun of twittering and facebook stalkery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got an ipod touch as my main christmas present. I have been very good, but know it will soon get ahold of me. I looooooooooove ffffound.com! Facebook stalking is perfectly fine anyway! :) Thanks for posting the link! Whew, I just spent way too long looking through its million pages...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay i'm glad i wasn't the last person to find ffffound! it's soo prrrreeettty.

    so tomorrow i have to go to this marketing summit thingie to listen to speakers talk about marketing strategies. will i be completely pissed at myself for not having bought an ipod touch before tomorrow's sure to be epically boring conference? Y/Y?

    ReplyDelete