Sunday, December 14, 2008

Ni hao bitches

A year ago, I had just landed in Beijing, settled somewhat in my little room with the broken bed, and began my 3 days of sitting in the apartment trying to adjust to the time change and waiting for the inevitable cold that besets all foreigners entering China due to the onslaught of pollution. I never did get sick so perhaps not forcing myself to do anything those first few days (besides marathon Firefly and Freaks & Geeks) helped.

I had written out a whole sappy "I MISS CHINA!!!" whiny post but this is a happy blog about magical and cramazing things so instead, I'll just post some pictures I love.


This is the new CCTV building (China Central Television). It is directly across the street from the office building I worked in so I got to see it everyday. It does look like a big pair of pants but it is unlike any other building I've ever seen.

Meat on a stick at all hours

Few things are more satiating than leaving a bar at 3:00am with the munchies and being able to get meat (or tofu or bread) on a stick for about 10 cents.

There's a huge repository of great chinglish phrases that people have encountered and can be found all over the internets. I saw quite a few but this was definitely my favorite.

Constantly people! Not just a glass with your dinner or for special occasions.

And finally, one of the best Christmas presents I've ever received from my wonderful friend seen here.

I wore this Doraemon face mask probably every day for at least 2 months, not because it helps to keep pollution out of your lungs, but it helps keep your face warm when it's below freezing and you've got a 40-minute walk to work. Also Chinese people call the little robot cat "Xiao Ding Dang" which always made me giggle. Little ding dong!

It's been snowing all day here in Portland. I'm not a fan but I think I will brave the weather and go to TJ's. I hope I don't freeze to death.

3 comments:

  1. We share a fascination for Freaks and Geeks as well as Firefly? How lovely!

    PS - You look hot in that face mask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like the mask, but it seems like it would impede constant drinking of the world-noted wine. stay warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea I watched Firefly for the first time in China, but I was already re-watching Freaks & Geeks. James Franco...swoon! Bill is my favorite though. I liked Firefly but it's basically over now right?

    And the mask does impede drinking cheap Chinese wine constantly, which is probably why I don't run marathons or swim like Michael Phelps. I just can't keep it up, even if it would be good for my health.

    ReplyDelete